Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Holiday Tips for Pet Owners

This holiday season, don’t forget to take some steps to ensure the safety of your pets. Keep these tips in mind as you deck your halls.

Watch out for danger
Check to make sure that all electrical cords are placed out of the reach of your pets. Some Christmas ornaments can be dangerous to your pet, including glass ornaments and lights, tinsel, angel hair, homemade dough ornaments, and fake spray-on snow. Keep candles out of tail’s reach.

Keep out of reach
Candy, especially chocolate is not suitable for your pet. In fact, chocolate can be fatal. Also watch out for macadamia nuts, walnuts, coffee, and alcohol. Do not allow your pet to drink water from the water receptacle for your Christmas tree, especially if you have used tree preservatives. These often contain sugar, making them attractive to your animal, but can also contain toxic substances and chemicals. Some holiday plants, such as poinsettias, holly, mistletoe, and amaryllis are toxic if ingested. Even tree needles can be dangerous.

Bundle up
Cold can be dangerous for a pet, especially short-haired ones. If your pet sleeps in an unheated area or outdoors, provide him or her with extra blankets, plenty of water, and perhaps a space heater if possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment